Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Prayer

“Dear Jim,

We have never met. We do not know one another yet we are brethren in Christ, and in occupation. Know that I likely represent countless others who might not post because they do not know you, but I hope it helps to know that we are out here praying for you and your family.

May He bring your perfect healing and a peace that passes all understanding.”

My dear family and friends, how can I ever thank you enough for your prayers and sustaining thoughts. Everyday is a challenge. I battle some discouragement because I never thought that it would take this long to get past all of this. In my minds eye, I thought I’d be back to work long before this. The struggle within is indescribable at times. Yet, when I receive a message like the one I received this morning (above), how can I be impatient or discouraged? I have been so blessed.

I have my sweetheart of nearly 35 years (we met in high school in 1974) at my side. I have my wonderful children, their spouses and our two grandchildren all checking on me, praying for me, lifting me up. I have so many wonderful friends, family and neighbors that stop by to visit or drop off a meal or a treat or call to see how I am doing. I have so many good PA friends around the country that check on me and have helped in so many ways in our time of need.

And then I have these wonderful but anonymous messages from other PAs that I do not know and will probably never meet. Yet the messages of faith and hope are invaluable to me. I so appreciate the prayers and encouragement. Thank you to all.

I have neglected to update this blog for a while because there hasn’t been much to update. I just completed round three of this current regimen of chemotherapy. Although not as psychologically toxic as the previous chemo and somewhat less bothersome in many other ways, it is still difficult. As I think I have surmised before, the effects seem to be cumulative. By that I meant that it seems that each time I get the treatment, the sickness that follows is more pronounced.

I completed the infusion of IV drugs on Friday last week and continued the oral drugs until Monday. However, I spent most of Saturday through Monday in bed. Just as before, exhaustion seems to be the primary side effect. Weakness and shakiness all over are the hallmarks and they tend to linger until just before the next round of drugs. Then there is this darned chemical taste that I cannot get rid of.

Actually, food doesn’t taste too bad while I am eating it, but after, I am left to deal with this nasty chemical taste that just won’t go away. About a week from now, it will start to taper off and I hope to be able to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with family just in time to go back for another round of chemo the following week.

This last round of chemo was postponed one week due to severely low platelets the week before when I was scheduled to have treatment. That puts me another week behind. Blast it all!

The plan at this point is to complete this round of four treatments without killing me off. I have to have frequent blood draws to monitor my blood. I’ve actually been doing this all along. I just hope that my system can keep up this time and allow me to get the next round of chemo when it is scheduled (Dec. 3 start date). After that, another CT scan will be ordered – probably about three weeks later – to see how the cancer in my lungs has responded.

We were very encouraged with the last CT report and are hoping for more of the same with this next one.

In the mean time, I am trying to suck on strong candy or eat strong flavored foods to cover this nasty taste and make it to next weeks celebration.

God bless you all. Thank you! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jim

8 comments:

Jordan said...

What a great post. Thank you for your wonderful thoughts. You are such a great example of faith and patience. Jane and I love you lots and you are always in our prayers.

P.S. You probably have already thought of this, but just in case. Do those Listorine breathe strips work? They come in cinnamon too. Those are pretty strong and stick right to your tongue.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jim, we belive in prayer and we believe in miracles! As we give special thanks next week, we will be grateful for your example of faith, hope and a positive attitude. I read in today's Church News about the addition to the Huntsman Cancer Center. Sounds like a marvelous hospital. The Lord is mindful of your needs and we love you dearly, Pam, Dick, Ruth & Uncle Jerald

Anonymous said...

Jim,
You do not know me, but you are in my thoughts and prayers. Your strength amazes me. Wishing you better health soon and a deep sense of peace as you travel on this journey. Godspeed!

Susan said...

What a wonderful and uplifting experience (especially this time of year) to receive the love and prayers of strangers. It certainly makes the world feel like a smaller place, doesn't it? We love you lots, and continue to pray for you too. Hang in there.
Susan

The Roz's said...

Very inspiring indeed! I do enjoy your posts very much and you are always in our prayers. Much love to you all from Arizona!

Dana Motika said...

Jim:

Isn't it amazing how the Lord humbles us and yet provides exactly what we need! I am always keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. We don't always understand this journey that our Savior has us on but we certainly know where it ends, don't we? Many Blessings to you and yours for this Thanksgiving.

Dana

Anonymous said...

Jim

It has been a while since you and I last visited together. I was talking to Mariah and she mentioned that there had been some challenges in your life. She sent me to this blog. As I read I have been so impressed with your optimism and courage in dealing with this trial. I know your faith and have felt your resolve to be closer to the Savior and follow him with perfect faith. You have always been a Christlike example of kindness and empathy. I have enjoyed the many years of our association stemming in AF, Provo, Orem offices. You and your family are in our prayers and thoughts continually. God Bless you with the courage and the strength to take each day at a time.

Eldon

Anonymous said...

Dear Jim,

Tarina gave us an update on your upcoming plans with chemo and surgery. It sounds promising and we are all praying for you! I hope you were able to enjoy your Thanksgiving. Hopefully you got your sense of taste back, but even if you didn't I'm glad you had your family around you.

Thank you so much for the decadent popcorn! I blew my diet...but it was worth it! It was so sweet of you to think of us.

We miss you terribly. Even though Craig has been a godsend, he's still not you! Good luck with this next medical adventure and have a Merry Christmas if I don't see you in the next few weeks.

Shannon Ngai