Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hair alternative

It is a wonderful blessing to have so many people watching over me. I am so blessed by everyone's messages, well wishes and acts of kindness. Thank you to all.

Today, I have to highlight one of my sisters (I have 5). It is totally amazing to have someone in the family with creative talent. When that talent reaches a point of sophistication that I don't even recognize it for what it is, well, it is awesome.

As you all know, I have lost most of my hair. I still have some stubble on my head, but it was so scraggly that I cut off what was remaining in exchange for baldness. There are advantages to all of this as well. I haven't shaved for a month and I haven't had to go to my barber for 6 months. That is a distinct advantage. With close to 90% of my body hair gone, getting showered is like washing a new baby if you catch my drift. No shampoo, just a quick slick body lather and rinse and I am done.

So here is what my little sister did, she sent me a package last week or so. When I opened it and looked I laughed. She had sent me a "Spiffy Jim's Do-It-Yourself Toupee Kit." Yup, a do-it-yourself toupee kit. What a great laugh. I loved it.

Later in the evening, I was showing it to my youngest daughter (17 - high school senior) and telling her what a great gift it was. Then, I suddenly realized that the picture on the packaging looked like me. I turned it over (which I hadn't done before) and suddenly realized that this wasn 't some off the shelf gag gift, she had created the entire thing herself. I was blown away. It even included a personal message from her. Here are some pictures. (What you can't see very well is that there is a huge mound of BLACK hair right next to the Krazy Glue. Fantastic!)


What a wonderful sister. THANKS SUSAN!! God bless you. You have blessed me!! Personally, I like the mohawk look, but the full head of hair on the right is REALLY tempting!

I think that if you click on the picture, it will enlarge so you can see all the AMAZING detail she put into this.

Cancer progress is otherwise unknown for now. On Monday the 15th, I am scheduled for blood work and a chest CT. Later in the morning, I meet with Dr. Chen (oncologist) to discuss results of the CT and treatment. For now, I am scheduled for another admission that same day, for more chemo.

The decision of whether or not to continue with the current treatment program will be based on the CT findings. If the metastatic lesions in my lungs have not progressed or better yet, have diminished in any way, then we will continue the current chemo. If there is significant growth, then we will talk about alternative chemo treatments. The current drugs I am receiving are what are considered the best for the sarcoma I have. If they aren't effective, then the only option is to try newer drugs that have no track record with sarcoma.

We are hoping that the current treatments will be effective. I'll update this again next week after the treatment decisions are made.

God bless you all. Thank you for everything. Jim

5 comments:

Jordan said...

:0) Sooz is amazing! I love it-it reminds me of Dan Aykroyd's Mainway toys from SNL (Bag O'broken glass, Doggy Dentist). Absolutely hilarious. I think they should really sell those in novelty stores. Please post a picture after you has tried it out ;)

Toddy said...

Hey, can I get one of those. She is truly amazing.

DeAnn said...

To funny. Sue is awesome!
I vote for the mowhawk:)

Janet said...

good luck tomorrow! our prayers are with you.

Richard M. Smith said...

We will pray extra for you tomorrow. Nothing like having medical tests determine your life for the next several weeks - that must be very difficult. I know the Lord is mindful of you. Love from Pam, Dick, Ruth & Jerry.