Friday, September 26, 2008

New treatment update

It has been difficult to get motivated this week, at least about writing. The chemo infusion started on Monday and followed on Tuesday and Wednesday. Coming home every day was the real blessing. I tolerated the infusions fairly well and had very little side effects. On Tuesday, day two of this new treatment program, I also started taking the oral medication at night. Again, I had little difficulty with this either.

Yesterday was a pretty good day. I was able to keep myself busy with little projects here on the computer and reading news stories, but I began having a lot of heartburn. That has subsided today fortunately.

I am supposed to drink 2 - 3 quarts of fluids every day as well. That is a real challenge, especially when I then have to make 4 - 5 trips to the bathroom during the night. I tried to be a good boy and drink a lot yesterday, but then last night was often interrupted by trips to the bathroom. At least I know that my kidneys are working well. The price I pay for trying to do what I am asked to do. Needless to say, I have cut back a little on fluid intake today.

The interrupted sleep has taken it's toll on me today. I am tired, weak and kind of shaky all over. I am sure this will pass with the rest I am trying to get.

I don't have much else to report. I am very hopeful that this new concoction of drugs will be more effective. If so, it is all worth the lack of sleep and whatever else comes with it. I have four more days of the oral meds and then on the 14th I restart the entire process all over again.

Additional studies (CT and MRI) are anticipated on or about the 3rd of November to determine if this is going to help. I certainly hope so. I have too much to do to be sitting around waiting for all of this to be over with. I'd really like to get back to work and care for MY patients.

Thanks to all for continued prayers and kind thoughts. We are so appreciative and certainly blessed by each of you.

Jim & Patti

5 comments:

Susan said...

I guess there are reasons why they call it "battling' cancer. Hang in there, and know that we love you and are praying for you constantly.
love always, Susan

Jordan said...

You are a brave man Uncle Jim. Stay strong and remember to be positive. Let me know if you need anything. (I make really good brownies) :)

Anonymous said...

We have been out of town for the last two weeks, but our thoughts and prayers have been with you. Our son, Ryan picked us up at the airport and my first question was "how is Jim Meeks". I was happy to see you out at your mailbox today and able to give you a toot on the horn. Stay strong.

Slades

Pam Smith said...

Ohhhh, that difficult gospel principle of PATIENCE!!! I'm sure there are times when you just want to scream, "Cancer, leave me alone and let me get back to living my life!" You have been such a brick through all of the treatments. We are all praying this newest mix of drugs does it. Our thoughts, our prayers and our love are with you, Pam, Dick, Jerry & Ruth

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim!' It's hard to know what to say in times like these. I have visited your blog several times and not posted any notes for that reason. One thinks, he's probably tired of hearing the same old cheers, short prayers, and simple sentiments. What a shame it would be if I missed the opportunity to tell you what an inspiration you are in my times of trouble, which of course seem so trivial compared to the challenges you face. Your courage and optimism give me strength and humility to face my own fears and trials of everyday living. So here I am putting myself out there for everybody to hear my thoughts and well wishes for you. I've put myself in your place many times. There are times when I've thought if I were in your shoes, I'd fall apart and would live each day just to hear people tell me they love me and are sharing my journey with me every day and haven't forgotten about me. So, just know that we are with you, even if we don't post a message. I hope each day you and your family find joy in all you do......and if you folks need anything, housekeeping or errands run, or perhaps a little distraction like a short ride in the mountains, just give me a call, 386-2891. God bless you and god bless us all. We love you Jim.