Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Quick Update

Here is a quick update. I got a call this morning from my oncologist's nurse informing me that the oncologist has decided to suspend chemotherapy for now. Each time I have undergone this "new" chemo, my blood has suffered some. My white count drops significantly - thus, I've been getting that Neulasta injection that I described some months ago to try to keep the white count up. Additionally, my platelets have dropped significantly. Platelets are the part of your blood that form clots to keep you from bleeding to death when you get cut.

Back in November when I was hospitalized for infection of my central line, my platelets had dropped to 26,000. A normal person's platelets are supposed to be above 240,000. At that time, I required a transfusion of platelets just so they could pull out the infected central line without fear of me bleeding to death then.

Every time I go for a chemotherapy session, my blood is checked and it usually gets above 100,000 or so allowing me to proceed with the treatments. They prefer it to be above 120,000, but the last couple of times, it has been just above the 100,000 mark. This past Friday, my platelets were only about 58,000 or so.

The Sarcoma Team meets every Monday morning to discuss active cases and they decided that suspension of the chemo was in my best interest for now. I was told to see the cardiothoracic surgeon as soon as possible (my appointment for that is February 4th) to discuss surgery to remove the larger lesions from my lungs.

So, that is about it. We are waiting to see the surgeon on the 4th. I have to admit that I am not disappointed about the suspension of chemotherapy. I am just starting to feel semi-normal after the last round three weeks ago. I was not looking forward to the sickness that comes with each treatment.

On another topic, the topic of faith, I am so thankful for everyone's encouragement and prayers. I am thrilled and deeply humbled to be included in prayers of so many. I received a wonderful e-mail today from a physician colleague of mine that I haven't seen for a year or so informing me that I had been included in his prayers since he had learned of my cancer. What a wonderful blessing it is to be included. I am so appreciative.

A wonderful cousin of mine sent me another wonderfully inspiring message that I'd like to share with you as well. Here is a link that you will have to copy and paste into your browser to connect to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2AibapAJfE

It is amazing and really exemplifies my feelings about my faith and trust in Christ. Please enjoy.

Jim & Patti Meeks

2 comments:

Jordan said...

Great post! I enjoyed seeing you and the family this weekend. I hope you continue to feel better!

Anonymous said...

Jim and Patti and family. We just found out about your battle with sarcoma. We are so very sorry and pray that you will be abundantly blessed as you have blessed the lives of others. We have missed you in Duchesne and hope to see you soon. (We enjoyed seeing the wonderful family picture you have on your site.)
Fred and Rosalie Seamons