Thursday, January 22, 2009

Another Update

Well, not much has changed. We met with my oncology team yesterday at the Huntsman Cancer Institute and discussed the CT and MRI studies done last week. Essentially, the cancer continues to spread or grow. We knew that.

As reported last time, new lesions have been identified in my lower spine and a new one in my cervical spine was identified in this last study. The good news is that these all appear to have responded to the chemotherapy.

The majority of lesions in my lungs seemed to have responded to the chemotherapy quite well as they have either disappeared or shrunk significantly. However, there are 5 lesions that have not and actually appear to be increasing in size. You can see several of these on the CT images of my chest that I posted several weeks ago. It is these lesions that the sarcoma team wants to get rid of. I am scheduled to see a surgeon on the 4th of February.

Chemotherapy has been suspended for now due to my blood being so messed up (see last post). After I recover from surgery, I will be reevaluated and it will be determined at that time if I will resume chemotherapy and what kind.

In the mean time, there isn't much we can do about anything. Patti is quite stressed and the oncologist even commented about how stressed she seemed to be. As we were checking out and scheduling another chest CT for the 4th, she came up to Patti, put her arm around her and told her that for now, there is nothing more we can do until after the surgery. She then said that we should get out of town and forget about it all for as long as we can. That might be fun.

We have had horrible inversions here with severe smog/fog socking us in and very little direct sunlight or clear skies and terribly cold temperatures. Warm and sunny southern California might be just was we need for a couple of days.

Gods blessings to you all!

Jim

2 comments:

Malisa said...

Jim,
You sound so upbeat! I am amazed by you and your faith while dealing with this trial. I wanted to tell you that I am thinking of you often and that I miss seeing you. I have exchanged a few messages with Colton on facebook and he told me that I could keep track of you and how you are doing, i hope you do not mind :) I miss you tons and hope that I will sometime be able to talk to you.
lots of love,
Malisa
PS: I have a blog for my little family if you want to see my crazy kids. it is jmbrooksfam.blogspot.com

Benita said...

Hello Jim,
It was so wonderful to see you at church on Sunday! We sure have missed you. We hope you and Patti have a very relaxing time in So Cal. Try to bring some of that warm, beautiful weather back with you! We love you and your precious family very much.
Benita, Don, & family
Bill & Aggie