Sunday, March 30, 2008

More Chemo

Well folks, here I am again. I am at the Huntsman Cancer Hospital here in Salt Lake City. I arrived Friday afternoon and thy started infusion of the chemo drugs that evening, so I am close to the end of the second 24 hour infusion. Monday evening, I'll be done with the chemo, but I have to stay an extra 24 hours so that they can infuse protective stuff for the rest of my body. Fun!

So far this time, I haven't had to many side effects. In fact, I'm feeling fairly good. I regained a lot of my strength and appetite by Friday and that hasn't changed much since they started this second round of drugs. I am thankful for that.

Here is a link to some information about this hospital in case anyone is interested: http://www.huntsmancancer.org/phaseTwo.jsp#

Just cut an paste that into your browser if it isn't active as a link in the text.

Here are some pictures of the hospital, my room, the infusion pumps and all the bags of fluid going at once.

This is my hospital room. It is rather nice with a lot of wood and custom cabinets, etc. Nice big windows looking out to the hills to the east where I can watch birds, squirrels, hikers and bikers.
This is a mug shot of the interns and residents that came to "visit" me yesterday. Dr. Grantz in the middle is kind of the lead dude. He is very nice and pleasant to visit with. I can't recall the names of the other two, but they are nice too.
Here is the cluster of pumps for the infusion of chemo. There is a central computer attched to the four pumps, two on either side. A far cry from the old gravity fed dial a flows that I learned to use 20 something years ago.This is the collection of fluids I am receiving. The brown covered bag is the doxyrubicin. It is a pink fluid that runs for 24 hours continuously. The smaller bag that is on the right and hanging over another bag is the ifosamide (spelling?) that runs for 3 hours every afternoon. The two of these drugs were described by the oncologist at the "red devil" treatment. She said it is about a mean as it gets with this stuff.

I lost most of my hair, but not all of it. One day it all started to come out in big clumps and handfuls. After about 5 days, that just all stopped leaving me with thin stringy hair. I'll keep what I can for as long as I can, but I suspect that at the end of the second week from this infusion, I'll lose the rest.

All of your kind thoughts and prayers are so appreciated. Thank you for posting such nice and heart flelt thoughts. Please continue to do so. I appreciate you filling my bucket from time to time with your kindness.

May God bless you always.

Jim

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, Robbie and I love you! Thanks for keeping us informed of whats going on. You are always in our prayers. XXOO Karyn

Nate and Liz said...

We love you Uncle Jim! You and your family are in our prayers as well!
Much Love,
Liz and Nate

Susan said...

Hey Big Brother! You are my hero. You're being so brave and positive in a such a tough situation. We are still rooting for you and your family, and praying for you all at our house. Hang in there!
p.s. I want to see pictures of your naked noggin! :)

The Roz's said...

Thanks for the update! It made me think of a scripture. 1 Corinthians 2:9 "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." We never know what God has in store for us. We only know He loves us! We are all praying for you and your family. We love you!

Erica said...

Bishop Meeks, the word is getting out to the people you served so well in the BYU 53rd Ward. We are praying for you and love you so much. You're an inspiration to us.

Love, Erica (Krueger) Groneman

Kaylynn said...

Jim,

Mariah gave me the link to your blog. Good luck with everything. You and your family are in my prayers. Thanks for being so great and for putting up with all the crazy parties and things Mariah and I used to do! You are awesome!

-Kaylynn-

Anonymous said...

Hey Bishop, Bryan Wessman here. I recieved word from Ryan Miller who probably recieved word from someone else in the old 53rd. You served us all so well and we love ya! You were a great example and inspiration to me while I was there. Get better!

Ami Luker said...

Jim,
I think of you so often and send many positive thoughts and prayers to you everyday. I miss walking into the urology clinic and seeing your sweet smile and sincere greetings. Your family is very beautiful and obviously love you very much. It's amazing how much care and concern we receive from those special people in our lives when times get tough. I know that you are not used to accepting help but I hope you'll take all that you get. I miss you dearly and hope to see you soon. You are such a good man and friend...please know that I send you soooo much love every day.
Your dear friend,
Ami Luker

P.S. Andy sends you his thoughts from New Zealand.

TC, Ashley said...

Hi Bishop Meeks, we are praying for you. Ryan Miller let us know what was going on. We love you and will always remember how wonderful it was having you as our Bishop in the 53rd ward. TC & Ashley Perry