Monday, August 18, 2008

A BIG Day

Today, a few hairs started falling out again. It has taken me since April to get about 1/2 inch of hair on top of my head. After showering this morning, I was disappointed to see many more hairs than usual in the bottom of the shower. I gave a gentle tug on some hair and sure enough, it came out quite easily.

Someone told me that they always liked Kojak. I never did!

Thursday last week, my WBC count (white blood cells) dropped to 1,000. Normal is between 4,000 and 10,000. WBCs are needed to protect against infection. Since then, I have been on oral antibiotics as a precaution. Todays blood count showed improvement, but still below the 4,000 I need. My platelets were low too - they help your blood clot when you are cut, so they told me not to cut myself shaving or to hit my head on anything. Patti wonders what my blood counts would be like if I hadn't had that shot of Neulasta.

I return to the hospital for the next round of chemo next Monday the 25th. I so look forward to that experience.

The BIG day today is this. Patti and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary today. We were married on August 18, 1978 at 8:00 a.m. in the Salt Lake Temple. A lot of water has passed under the bridge in these past 30 years. They have been wonderful. We have five beautiful children, have added a daughter-in-law and a son-in-law and two extra beautiful grandchildren, many, many friends and wonderful neighbors. I work with some of the best people in the world. We can't ask for much more than that.

Many of you have commented on how much you enjoyed the nostalgic pictures from my missionary days, so I dug up some old pictures of Patti and I taken on this day 30 years ago. Wow, a lot of water has passed somewhere. I have changed a lot! Oh, and did I mention that I love the dickens out of her? I do!! I really do!!!

At the wedding reception.



















At the wedding breakfast.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Those are GREAT pictures! You do know--God only created a few perfect heads...the rest he has to keep covered with hair! If you've got it, flaunt it! :)
Love you!

Benita said...

Hello, Jim & Patti!
Happy 30th anniversary and congratulations to you both! My dad actually celebrated his 71st birthday the same day (Aug. 18). We all love you guys so much and we want you to know how much we treasure your friendship. Thank you for being the awesome people that you are and for being such great examples for all of us.
We send our love and prayers...
Benita, Don, Kelli, Stephi, Kyle, & Jason, Bill & Aggie
benita_girl@hotmail.com

Bridget said...

HI Brother Meeks! I found your blog through Stacey Wilson's. We will continue to pray you and your family. Tell Mariah hi! :)
-Bridget Henriksen Johnson