Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Chemo Sucks!

Hi to all once again. Your continual prayers, cards, e-mails, phone calls and visits are very much appreciated by us. We appreciate the prayers and support from everyone. You all certainly make this experience more tolerable!

I returned to the Huntsman Cancer Hospital yesterday. I had an appointment with my oncologist, Dr. Chen. We talked about the treatment plan that I posted previously. She plans on doing this five day infusion of doxyrubicin and ifosamide (the chemo drugs) every three weeks for four cycles. She will get another CT scan of my chest sometime after the second round of chemo to see if this treatment is having any effect on the cancer lesions in my chest.

I asked her about prognosis. She didn't really address that, but she did explain that there is no cure for stage 4 metastatic sarcoma. Management is what we are doing now with hope for a good outcome. She said that if we get good results with these four treatments, we may consider thoracotomy (lung surgery) to remove the larger lesions if they remain and the many, many small ones shrink or disappear.

So, here I am again in the hospital with my "Christmas Tree" of drugs. My sweetheart Patti has been as my side through all of this. She is quite distressed over this latest explanation of my condition. She was hoping for a cure and return to normal life. Anyway, she took this picture for me so you could all see what I am dragging around with me for the rest of this week. Going to the bathroom and showering are the biggest challenges with this thing in tow. I'm getting it figured out though, this is my third time doing this.

One of the nurses here yesterday had a button on her white lab coat that says "Chemo Sucks," so I thought that was an appropriate title for today's posting.

Just as an aside, Patti informed me that our trip to the cnacer center yesterday was our 61st. For us, that is an 85 mile round trip, every time. I know people that commute that far and further, every day. I don't know how they can afford it. Our gas bills have been horrendous.

I was able to get some images of the CT of my chest. The last one done, on the 21st of July. These are the ones that I posted the report of on my last blog. You can see the increased size of the big lesions and some of you may be able to see the many new small lesions throughout my lungs. Remember when looking at these that black is good - that is air in the lungs. Stringy looking white stuff is good too, that is lung tissue. The bad stuff is white and round.

These images are in no specific order. They do show some lesions with measurements on them. The measurements are in millimeters. The one that says 18.4 has another measurement that I cut off in the picture. The 18.4 is top to bottom, the side to side measurement is 21.3. This lesion started out a 5 mm. I think you can see it on the previous pictures that I posted before when it was much smaller. I think that ones that are attached to the outside walls are more concerning. If they grow big enough, they can penetrate the outer wall and then that would mean even more spreading of the cancer. So far that doesn't appear to be the case. I am thankful for that. I think that if you click on these images, that they will enlarge in size so you can see them better. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

There is no telling where this will end or what the outcome will be. I believe in miracles and my faith assures me that all is in the hands of my creator. My savior is my redeemer. I have nothing to fear. I put my trust in them for the best outcome. I am ready and willing to pass through whatever is required. My fear is for my sweetheart. This all seems to be so much harder for her. I am thankful that it is me and not her that has this problem. She strengthens me and I try to strengthen her as best I can. She needs your prayers too and I appreciate that you include her and our family in your prayers.

God bless you all! The battle continues.

Jim

9 comments:

Sariah said...

Chemo does suck! Esp since you lose your hair! haha! Well, it is a strength to me to hear of your faith and continued belief in miracles. I know there is power in that. I will keep your family and wife esp in my prayers, as always. I love you guys! (I wish i was rich so I could pay for your gas bills! Prices are insane!) Love, Sariah DeVard

Jordan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jordan said...

If anyone can beat this, you can Uncle Jim. Keep your positive, upbeat, and always cheerful attitude. Don't forget your singing bear either. :)

DeAnn said...

Hey big brother,hang in there. I wish I could pay your gas bill too.
Tell Patti that we love her and to stay strong.

Sarah Miller said...

You are such an amazing person and I am in awe of your faith. Thanks for being such a great example. You are your family are in my prayers. Keep your head up ;)

Deborah Kay Burt, M.ED.,ET/P. said...

You are in our prayers!

Pam Smith said...

We know your faith is strong and that you have a great understanding of the purpose of this life. How can people get through these kinds of trial without that knowledge - truly a sad situation. My folks are so concerned about you and Patti. We had tried to call, but understand why you had the phone disconnected. Just know that we care. You are in our thoughts and always in our prayers. We love you. Pam, Dick, Jerry & Ruth

Susan said...

Lots of Love Big Brother! You (all) are still in our thoughts prayers! Like everyone else, we wish there was more we could do. :)

Charlene said...

Keep doing what you are-- and management is ok, although I understand your dear Patti's preference of a cure.

All the best, dear Jim!