Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Still Improving

I apologize that I haven't updated this since Thursday night, but it has been a little crazy for me trying to get caught up with everything from spending every night at the hospital last week. I know there are many of you who depend on this blog to stay apprised of what's going on with Dad, so I'll try to keep it more up to date.

Dad has been struggling with sleep since about Tuesday of last week. He usually falls to sleep at around 10 or 11 and sleeps for an hour or two and then wakes up. He then looks over, smiles and mouths, "I think I slept better." I then inform him that it has only been a little bit and he scowls. Part of the problem is that he has had a lot of anxiety and panic attacks that don't allow him to relax.

Last week they gave him a sleeping medicine on Tuesday night called Cyroquil (spelling?) that allowed him to sleep for about four hours. However, Dad wanted to take Ambien so they gave that to him on Wednesday and Thursday. Unfortunately, it didn't help as much as the first drug so my mom was able to talk him into going back to it for Friday night. Unfortunately, it wasn't helping much either. They also started him on Haldol to help with the anxiety and panic attacks, but it seemed to have no effect whatsoever. So yesterday they discontinued the Haldol and started giving him Lesoprin (or something like that, I can't remember the exact name, sorry). They also double his dose of Cyroquil last night, and this morning the nurse told my mom that he slept much better last night and that Dad actually had a smile on his face this morning - something he hasn't had for a few days. So it sounds like the new drugs are starting to help.

Mom has been sick since Sunday with a severe cold, and the nurse on Sunday gave her several hints that she shouldn't come up on Monday, but instead stay home and get feeling better. She is also home today, and hopes to be better by tomorrow so she can start going back up and seeing Dad each day. Since Mom couldn't go yesterday, I went up and spent a few hours with him, and today Dad's aunt Jill is spending the day with him. Even though he is the one who is sick, he still worries about everyone else. He knew that I needed to leave by 5:00 p.m. yesterday to meet with a group for school and he started falling asleep around 4. But, he couldn't sleep because every few minutes he woudl wake up and ask me, "Don't you need to go?" He didn't want me to miss my meeting. So, in order to let him sleep, I decided to leave about 30 minutes early.

Dad's vent settings continue to slowly improve, as he completely controls the breaths now, and his PEEP setting was at 6 yesterday. Unfortunately, his kidneys still arent' really working at all and he will have dialysis today. He hates physical therapy because it is so draining. All day yesterday he kept asking me when they would come because he wanted to get it over with so he could relax. The anticipation was horrible for him. All of the doctors, nurses and other care givers say it will still be a long haul, but that he will definitely get out of there and go home eventually - a big turnaround from where we were a week and 1/2 ago.

Thank you to everyone for all of your support in whatever form it comes: prayers, donations, visits, bringing food to my mom, Clayton and Makell, etc. We truly appreciate everything you do and may God bless all of you for your kindness and generosity.

9 comments:

Jordan said...

Thanks for the update. I hope Aunt Patty feels better

Stacey said...

I called to let Mariah know I could watch her kids anytime so she could spend more time up there. I still haven't heard anything so tell her again and I am very serious about watching them.

Anonymous said...

It was so good to check today and get an update. I am so glad that Jim is making progress!!!! I find myself thinking of him and all of you everyday. Please tell Jim I love him and I would love to come and see him when you all think it is possible (Mariah give me a call when your dad can have visitors again).

May God Bless you all

Love,

Stan Kauffman

Susan said...

I'm so glad to be hearing so good news. We continue to pray and pray and pray. Let's keep the miracles coming!!!

Brooke said...

It was good to catch up with you guys last week! I'm glad that your dad continues to improve. I sure hope that he can get some good sleep soon. I can't imagine how exhuasted he and all of you must be.

Nate and Liz said...

Wow, what a good update. With such good news at the end. The medical world and our heavenly father can do amazing things! We will continue to pray for all of you.

With love,
Liz and Nate

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the update. We live for them. Tell Jim hi for me and keep the news coming. I think about all of you all the time.

Love you all
Richard and Casey

Benita said...

Thank you for this update. Sounds like things are moving along in the right direction. Sorry to hear about his trouble with sleeping & anxiety. Does he have some soothing music he can listen to? Or something relazing to watch & ease his mind? I have a relaxation CD he is more than welcome to borrow. Maybe even some earplugs to shut out the little noises may help. There's really no other better place to sleep than your own bed, so tell him to hang in there & that he'll be able to go home and sleep soon.
We love you all & send lots of hugs & prayers your way...
Benita, Don, & family
Bill & Aggie

Dana Motika said...

Keep up the good work Jim! You will get stronger & stronger every day. God Bless!!